Thursday, January 8, 2015

Should Christians Pray Using the Name of Their Pastors?




I have been hearing about this practice in some pentecostal churches
but it only hit home recently when I was invited by a friend to the
crossover night service of a particular church far from where I
usually
worship.

I was utterly discomforted when the man of God stepped to the altar
area to lead us in prayers for the new year and he kept mentioning the
God of so and so pastor(he mentioned at least ten very popular
pentecostal pastors) before ending each prayer points with the name of
our lord Jesus Christ.

The reason for my discomfort was because of my strict Anglican
background where we were taught to pray only in the name of Jesus that
is above every other name. Though I've attended a number of
pentecostal church services before this very one,but I've never
witnessed such a practice before; though I've been hearing about it.

A few people I discussed with on whether it was biblical to pray by
mentioning the name of their prophet,wooli or pastor's God,made
references to the bible where the God of
Isaac,Jacob,Abram,Elijah,etc,were severally  mentioned;saying it was
okay to pray to the God of a true man of God who has performed great
signs and wonders through his ministry.

Well, am still a bit confused here and would love contributions to the
topic. Please,feel free to drop your thoughts on this practice by some
churches.

No comments:

Post a Comment