Friday, January 9, 2015

US reverses its earlier statement that Nigeria would break up in 2015


The United States Government has said there are no signs that Nigeria will break up before, during or after the February general elections.



US Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. James Entwistle, stated this in Lagos on Thursday during an interactive session with journalists on the recent donation of a US naval ship, NNS Okpabana, to the Nigerian Navy.

He, however, said Nigeria was facing “big challenges” but said the present problems were surmountable. “I have been plagued by the question (on Nigeria’s possible disintegration in 2015) and I have gone back to look and I can’t find any government report that said Nigeria would disintegrate in 2015. Maybe some think-tank or somebody outside the government said it; I don’t know.

“But in my opinion as the US Ambassador to this country, I am not worried in the least that Nigeria is going to disintegrate in 2015. Regardless of what someone may have said, the question is that we are now here in 2015: Do we see signs that Nigeria is going to disintegrate or fall apart or something? I don’t know what you think. But I don’t see those signs.

 “But I see signs of growth, optimism and I see that to minimise the challenges that you have, in this life, you have to keep on keeping on and I think the future is quite bright,” Entwistle said.

He also said if the Federal Government did what would need to be done in the coming years, as regards to “security, corruption and all of these things,” the future of Nigeria would be “very bright.”

No comments:

Post a Comment