Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Olamide and his penchant for blasphemous lyrics




 Adedeji Olamide,better known as Olamide,is one of the few hip-pop
artistes that uses his native tongue,yoruba, to rap. He has at least
three albums to his credit; Rapsodi, YBNL and Baddest Guy ever liveth,
I actually have the last two of these albums in my kitty.

Let me say right away that I was never originally a fan of Olamide because
when I first listened to him, I thought his rap was too noisy and aggressive
for my liking having already fallen in love with Dagrin's matured rap
style. So it was only natural for me to keep comparing an Olamide with
a Dagrin, but over time, Olamide has proven his mettle that he can be
unique in his own ways.

While still as noisy as ever in his rap, overtime, I have become tolerable to his
style and I even enjoy listening to some of his songs, but I have noticed his penchant
for what I call blasphemous lyrics in recent times. It took a visit to a friend's cafe
where he kept playing current tracks of Olamide for me to take
cognizance of this. In all of his songs that I listened to at this
friend's place, I noticed he kept mentioning the name of our lord Jesus
Christ in a manner that borders  on the realm of blasphemy to anyone
that doesn’t have an open mind on such things. Take one of the tracks titled
‘Jesu O kola’ as an example, while some may argue that there wasn’t anything blasphemous in the way he kept mentioning the name of Jesus on this track, but he didn’t exactly paint him in good light either, and for someone whose music is being listened to by both Christians and non Christians alike, one would have thought he should have been mindful about how he
portrays someone people have strong faith in. This is not to spite the artiste, but methinks he should do the needful here, which is that he shouldn’t be seen as giving people of other faiths the license to disrespect our lord Jesus Christ because an Olamide does same, albeit not intentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment